On Monday, March 6, 2023, the Board of Trustees met to review and finalize the 2023-2024 School Year Budget as follows:
The 2023-2024 Operating Budget results in a 2.00% increase in the Special Requirement, no change (0.00%) in the Special Levy, a (4.33%) decrease in the mill rate for 2023, and a $(27.22) annual decrease(1.56%) on a typical home valued at $277,830.
The 2023-2024 Budget includes the following:
Expected enrollment growth:
o In 2022-2023, the Division has experienced the largest yearly student increase of 328 (3.6%) students in over 10 years.
o The Brandon School Division is a growing division, for the 2023-2024 school year, we are projecting 9,427 students, an increase of 61 (0.7%) students. OPERATING FUND
Increase of 27.34 FTE teaching positions:
o 25.84 FTE Teachers for enrollment growth
o 1.50 FTE non-ratio teaching positions due to grants and other funding.
• Increase of 23.69 FTE support staff:
o 4.42 FTE Educational Assistants due to enrollment growth
o 18.47 FTE Educational Assistants due to additional special needs funding
o 0.18 FTE Lunchroom Education Assistants due to enrollment growth
o 0.62 FTE Custodial Assistant positions due to enrollment growth and school additions
• The Board reinstated the following 4.00 FTE positions eliminated previously due to budget
o Supervision of Facilities – 1.00 FTE
o Psychologist – 1.00 FTE
o Research and Evaluation Specialist – 1.00 FTE
o Human Resource Assistant – 1.00 FTE
• Changed a Maintenance Worker III position into a Heating, Ventilation & Air Conditioning (HVAC) position.
• The budget provides for the following inflationary increases:
o 4% for school instructional budgets and other controllable supplies and services
o 25% for cleaning supplies
o no increase (0%) for professional development
o 8% for computer equipment and capital and maintenance expenditures
• Replacement of school buses will be funded through the school bus capital reserve.
• Allocation of $100,000 towards the replacement of school paging systems.
• No increase to the special levy, the Division’s school year education property taxes are maintained at the 2020 rate.