The City of Brandon and management and staff at the Brandon Municipal airport wish to advise that effective July 10th, 2020, it will be MANDATORY for people to wear a face mask or face covering while in the Brandon Airport Terminal.
This is part of the City of Brandon’s ongoing COVID-19 pandemic response and is necessary because the growing number of people attending to the terminal for WestJet’s summer flight schedule has made it much more difficult for people to properly physically distance while in the terminal building.
In order to continue offering air service at the facility, the decision has been made to require anyone present in the terminal building to wear a face mask or face covering. Signage will be posted in all applicable areas of the airport terminal building. PLEASE NOTE that the Brandon Municipal Airport WILL NOT provide face masks or face coverings.
This new requirement at the Brandon Municipal Airport is in addition to Transport Canada’s pre-existing requirement which came into effect on April 20th, 2020, for travellers to wear a facemask or face covering during the screening process as well as on the aircraft. Guidance on acceptable face masks or coverings has been provided by Transport Canada on its website at https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/2019-novel-coronavirus-infection/prevention-risks/about-non-medical-masks-face-coverings.html.
Exceptions to the above requirements have been laid out as follows:
• When you could be endangered by wearing a mask,
• When security, airline staff or airport staff authorizes the removal of a face mask in cases of special needs or unforeseen circumstances.
• When you are eating, drinking or taking oral medications.
• An infant 2 years or less, does not require to wear a face mask of face covering
• When you difficulty breathing (not related to COVID-19),
• A person who is unconscious, and a person who is unable to remove their face mask without assistance.
In addition to all the above measures, a number of other procedures are in place at the Brandon Municipal Airport to minimize the spread of COVID-19, including the disinfecting of commonly touched surfaces, and the performing of Health Checks for passengers before boarding.
More Information on the City of Brandon’s COVID-19 pandemic response can be found at http://www.brandon.ca/covid-19-updates.
(City of Brandon PSA)