Manitoba Growth, Enterprise and Trade has completed its selection process to determine the second phase of cannabis retailers in the province.
In July 2018, the province released a request for pre-qualification (RFPQ) seeking potential retailers interested in a future opportunity to operate cannabis retail stores in Manitoba. The RFPQ directed respondents to indicate communities where they would be prepared to open a store.
The selection process consisted of a randomized draw, called the cannabis retail opportunities draw. Each pre-qualified retailer received one ballot per community of interest. One ballot was drawn for each identified community, as well as a second standby ballot.
Through the randomized draw, the following retailers have been selected:
– Selected retailer: Westleaf Inc.
– Standby retailer: 10022915 Manitoba
• Flin Flon:
– Selected retailer: 10552763 Canada Corporation (Garden Variety)
– Standby retailer: Auxly Cannabis Group Inc.
• Lac du Bonnet:
– Selected retailer: The Viscount Gort Motor Hotel Ltd.
– Standby retailer: Matzelle Holdings Ltd.
– Selected retailer: Canna Cabana Inc.
– Standby retailer: Red River Cooperative Ltd.
• Municipality of Russell-Binscarth:
– Selected retailer: 2296476 Ontario Inc. (The Corktown Cannabis Company)
– Standby retailer: 5403651 Manitoba Ltd. (Yale Hotel)
• Swan River:
– Selected retailer: Fire & Flower Inc.
– Standby retailer: Westcoast Sunset Holdings Corporation
– Selected retailer: 3381102 Manitoba Ltd. (Northern Hotel)
– Standby retailer: 10022915 Manitoba.
Selected retailers have been asked to confirm whether or not they are interested in opening a store in community they were drawn for, and will have 10 days to confirm their interest. If the selected retailer decides not to pursue a retail store in that community, the opportunity will be presented to the standby retailer drawn for that community.
Once confirmed, retailers will enter into written agreements with the province and can then begin the process to open their stores including securing the necessary permits from the communities in which they will operate and receiving a licence from the Liquor, Gaming and Cannabis Authority.
(Source: Province of Manitoba News Release)