Brandon, MB – With the Christmas season upon us, Brandon Fire & Emergency Services wishes to remind the public of a few important fire prevention tips if your celebrations involve a live Christmas tree. Live Christmas trees are one of the most popular traditions of the season, but can also be one of the most dangerous when it comes to the risk of fire. By following these fire prevention tips, you can help keep your family safe during the holidays:
- Choose only a fresh Christmas tree. A dry tree may create a serious fire hazard. If the needles are shedding or break when gently bent, choose another one.
- Keep the tree outdoors until you are ready to decorate.
- When you are ready to put your tree up, make a fresh cut off the bottom of the trunk to allow the tree to absorb water.
- Put the tree in a sturdy, water-holding stand with wide-spread legs.
- Keep the stand filled with water the ENTIRE time the tree is indoors.
- Place the tree away from any heat sources and away from the exits.
- Unplug all inside and outside Christmas lights or decorations before leaving the house or going to bed.
Brandon Fire & Emergency Services wishes you a safe and enjoyable holiday season!