Ensuring safe travel on City of Brandon streets is a high priority for the City’s Public Works Department. Snow Route systems allow this to occur by clearing major arterial routes and bus routes more quickly and efficiently, when parked vehicles are removed.
Snow Route Parking Restrictions
Snow Route parking restrictions come into effect from November 15th to March 31st annually. After a significant amount of snow (in excess of 5 centimetres) and/or winds that cause drifting on snow routes, a parking restriction may be declared by the City’s Public Works Department. Vehicles that remain parked along signed seasonal snow clearing routes during an identified snow-clearing event risk being ticketed and/or towed at their own expense.
The following locations are the designated Snow Routes in the City of Brandon:
- Rosser Avenue from 1st Street to 18th Street (24:00 to 07:00)
- Rosser Avenue from 18th Street to 34th Street (24:00 to 08:00)
- Rosser Avenue E. from 1st Street to 13th Street E. (24:00 to 08:00)
- Princess Avenue from 1st Street to 18th Street (24:00 to 07:00)
- Princess Avenue from 18th Street to Whillier Drive (24:00 to 08:00)
- Princess Avenue E. from 1st Street to 13th Street E. (24:00 to 08:00)
- Ninth Street extending from Pacific Avenue to Princess Avenue (24:00 to 07:00)
- Tenth Street extending from Princess Avenue to Pacific Avenue (24:00 to 07:00)
- Louise Avenue extending from 13th to 18th Street (24:00 to 08:00)
Snow plowing/removal notices as detailed above are issued by the City of Brandon to its website and through its social media platforms, and notification is also provided to Brandon’s local media outlets. However, residents who wish to receive direct email notifications prior to the implementation of such parking bans can sign up for this service by visiting brandon.ca/snow-routes to subscribe.
Snow Removal Procedures
Snowfall amount, density of snow, humidity, rising or falling temperatures, wind velocity and direction along with the time of year, all play a part in how the City’s Public Works Department responds to any particular snow event. If a Citywide plowing program is implemented, it will be completed immediately after a snow event.
The City is divided into seven zones for snow clearing, starting with a Priority 1A route. This route focuses the first 24 hours of all municipal snow-clearing activities on sections of major thoroughfares under the City’s care to establish a plowed “grid” of sorts for commuters and emergency vehicles to access all corners of the City as soon as possible. Included within this Priority 1A Route are:
- Sections of Braecrest Drive, Kirkcaldy Drive, Knowlton Drive, Stickney Avenue, McDonald Avenue, Hilton Avenue, Parker Boulevard, Fred Brown Way, Pacific Avenue, Rosser Avenue, Princess Avenue, Victoria Avenue East, Lorne Avenue East, Van Horne Avenue East, McTavish Avenue East, E. Fotheringham Drive, Whillier Drive, Park Avenue, Queens Avenue, Elderwood Drive, Brandon Avenue, Willowdale Crescent, Aberdeen Avenue, Richmond Avenue, Maryland Avenue, Magnolia Drive, Lyndale Drive, Sycamore Drive, and Patricia Avenue
- Portions of 34th Street, 26th Street, 19th Street North, 8th Street North, 13th Street, 10th Street, 9th Street, 6th Street, 1st Street, Dennis Street, 13th Street East, and 17th Street East
For a comprehensive overview of the City of Brandon’s snow-clearing procedures, visit brandon.ca/snow-removal or contact the City of Brandon Streets and Roads Section at 204-729-2285.
Residents are also reminded that the best way to stay up to date on all regular snow plowing activities conducted by the City of Brandon’s Streets & Roads Section is by visiting snowmap.brandon.ca.
The interactive online map is updated regularly through the winter season to show when snow plowing or snow removal activity is scheduled along a snow route, within various residential zones, in a back lane, or on a designated pedestrian route. Via the map’s tracking features, users can also stay on top of snow plowing or removal activity as crews make their way through a respective route or zone.
(City of Brandon PSA)