Nate Andrews is a Partner/Sales Manager at Guild/HMS Insurance Group Inc. Following high school graduation, he spent several seasons studying and playing baseball at Mayville State University. An active member in our community, Nate spent a year as the President of the Brandon Chamber of Commerce (June 2012-2013). In 2019 he served as the host committee vice chair for the The Brier.
- What’s the first concert you attended? Guns N’ Roses 1993 Winnipeg Arena
2. MLB decides to host an exhibition game at Andrews field, what two teams would you like to see take part? Atlanta Braves and the Toronto Blue Jays.
3. You spent many seasons playing baseball in the MSBL, name the three most dominant pitchers you faced during that time? Shane Moffatt, Matt Mutcheson and Vinnie Eastman
4. A place you’ve never been but would love to visit? Italy. I love wood fired Napoletana style pizza, so want to take in the whole cultural experience someday.
5. What’s the worst thing you’ve stepped on barefoot? A barbed fishing hook. Yep, trying to erase that memory still.
6. What was your favorite class in college? I was studying Exercise Science when I was at Mayville and interned in Grand Forks at the Frappier Acceleration Sports Training Clinic. I trained a lot of University Athletes at that centre from UND and the surrounding area, from hockey players, to footballs players and track athletes. It was a pretty cool experience to see these athletes push themselves so hard and make improvements.
7. The movie that traumatized you most as a child was? Had to be Friday the 13th. We lived on a farm and had a large treed area in behind us so any weird noises at night I just assumed Jason was coming for me.
8. Your fast food guilty pleasure? McDoubles
9. What do you remember most about your first job? I was 16 working at Jack’s Maytag. I worked Saturdays and had no idea where half the parts were when someone came in. I got good at saying we were out but would get one ordered right away. It often was there so when they got a call Monday saying their part was in when the boss came back they were quite please with the quick turnaround.
10. What do you miss most about being a kid? No stress. Life was simple as a kid.
11. If you could get 1 more season of a TV show no-longer airing, what show would it be? Oh tough one. Lot’s of good one from the 80’s, but will have to say Cheers.
12. Three most commonly used apps on your phone? Instagram, The Weather Network and What’s App
13. What would your occupation be if you had followed your childhood dreams? Well in my Dreams a Major League Baseball player, but I would have also loved looking after the Grounds at a Major League stadium. I guess that’s why we still run Andrews Field after 21 years. There is something about fresh cut green grass and a perfectly dragged infield.
14. An object you still own from your childhood? I still have my first catcher mitt. It was a Rawlings I had when we won Western Canadian’s in 1989.
15. No matter how many _____ I own, I always have the urge to buy more? Hats. I have always loved buying hats. I have a large head so finding a sweet hat that actually fits is a huge win.
16. What was the first larger scale purchase (over $500) you bought with your own money? I believe it was a stereo system with the big Pioneer Tower speakers. Dual cassette player and all!
17. Your dream curling foursome includes yourself and these three individuals? I would love to go back in time and curl with my Dad and his two brothers. That would have been a blast.
18. The car you passed your drivers test in was a? Volkswagen Passat
19. A meal that you think tastes better the next day? When my Grandma was still alive she used to order Chicken Delight and get it cooked extra well done. Of course in those days being a bachelor she would send a bunch home with me and I don’t know why but that stuff was better the next day right out of the fridge.
20. What’s the best Halloween costume you’ve ever had? When I was at Mayville myself and 2 of my friends from the football team dressed up as the Three Amigos( Steve Martin, Chevy Chase, and Martin Short movie ) We had all the moves down and won best costume at some bar. Just one of those nights that was more fun than ever for no good reason.