WINNIPEG — Folks at the Winnipeg Goldeyes office were thrilled with the Weekend Weather forecast on Friday morning.
After some chilly days for the Goldeyes Open House in the past – and the first day of the team’s training camp – Environment Canada has predicted that the weekend weather will be solid in the ‘Peg as the Goldeyes invite their fans to Shaw Park for what they hope will be the best season ever.
Saturday’s Open House, the official start of summer for baseball fans, begins at 11 a.m. and runs until 2 in the afternoon.
Among other things, this is the first day that fans can purchase individual game tickets so if you want great seats for this year’s fireworks nights or you really want that Dancing Gabe bobblehead on July 13, this Saturday, May 7, is the day to buy your tickets. And don’t forget, while the Open House begins at 11, the box office opens at 10 a.m.
And make no mistake, for even the casual baseball fan, Saturday will be a sensational day:
- The first 1,500 fans in attendance will receive a free hot dog, chips and Pepsi products.
- The Goldeyes will work out on the field from 11 a.m. – 1 p.m.
- Season ticket and mini pack holders can pick up their 2016 tickets.
- Fans can get a tour of the ballpark, including a look inside the Goldeyes clubhouse and a special private tour of the umpire’s room with umpires Henry Lemoine and Bob Bland.
- Steve Schuster, the voice of the Winnipeg Goldeyes, will be interviewing Goldeyes players and coaches right on the field to get their insight on the upcoming 2016 American Association season.
- The radar pitching booth will be atop Section A for fans to clock their pitch speed.
- Younger Goldeyes fans can sign up to become a member of Goldie’s Home Run Gang.
- Fans can test their arm speed in the TCBY Radar Pitching Booth on the Concourse.
“We’ll have free Winkler meats hot dogs, Old Dutch chips and Pepsi products for the first 1,500 people through the door plus ballpark tours and your chance to buy the best seats for the biggest games,” said Goldeyes general manager Andrew Collier.
“As it is every year, it’s going to be a lot of fun. It’s a chance to get out in the sunshine and watch the 2016 Goldeyes go through their first official workout of the season.”
“And remember, it’s free.”
The Goldeyes will play their first pre-season games on Tuesday, May 10 and Wednesday May 11, both at 6 p.m., against the Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks and then they’ll head out to open the 2016 campaign in Joplin on Thursday, May 19.
The home schedule begins on Monday, May 30 against the Sioux Falls Canaries and yes, there are some tickets remaining for Opening Night.
So make sure you get out to the Goldeyes Open House on May 7 at 10 a.m. to secure your Opening Night seats.